On behalf of the Board and the members of Squash NS I would like to congratulate:
Dave Thomson on his assumption of the role of President of Squash NS
Marwan Abouelela on his assumption of the role of Vice President and
John MacPhail on his acclamation as a member at large.
Phil Jourdeuil on his assumption of the role of Treasurer and
Cameron Reid and Evan McNichol on their return as members at large for another two year term.
Dave and Marwan agreed to co-lead the Board after the call for volunteers and the AGM produced no candidates. They and the Board will continue to lead the sport in its recovery post covid and will be refreshing the strategic plan for Squash NS in 2021-22.
In other news the AGM approved a restructure of membership classes and fees that eliminated the recreational class of membership and reduced membership fees. Details are here.
We are also actively planning the 2021-22 Competitive season. We plan to restart the HSL in September and expect that Premier League will also start in the fall. I would would ask clubs/individuals who are planning tournaments to indicate their interest and tentative dates to Mallory. So far we have no news on tourney dates in the other provinces but for NS we have tentative bookings for the:
- Cole Harbour Team Tourney – 14-17 Oct
- NS Jr Open – 19-21 Nov
- Dal tournament planned for 13-16 Jan
- NS Open 24-27 Mar
Also we would like to start a four tournament Junior Circuit for new, improving and competitive juniors. With tourney dates in Sep, Oct, Jan and Feb and each held at a different club in the province. Details of the circuit can be found here. Again Clubs should indicate their interest to Mallory.
I would like to thank the board and the squash community for your support over the last three years and hope you will work as hard to support our new leadership going forward.
With the Province’s announcement that we are entering Phase 4 of the NS reopening plan effective 8:00 a.m. on July 14th 2021, the following changes to operations of facilities offering squash are approved.
To summarize facilities across the province can operate squash courts under the following restrictions:
- Squash clubs can operate
- Contact tracing, mask use, physical distancing and other public health measures remain in effect within the common areas of the facility.
- Competitive play is authorized i.e. Organized matches, internal club ladders and box leagues.
- Singles, Doubles and Cut-throat play is authorized
- Tournaments are authorized.
- Squash programs can take place limited to a maximum 25 people indoors including participants, coaches and spectators
- Spectators are permitted within the overall indoor and program gathering limits.
- No social activity is permitted.
- Within the context of minimizing individual social contact circles, players should restrict their social/playing/practice group to a consistent group of no more than 25 people.
- Inter club leagues can take place, if all of the host clubs are willing to participate and each of the divisions each stay under the 25 player cap including players and officials.
- Players and coaches can travel within NS to train.
- Players are authorized to travel to play remembering that they must meet any entry/re-entry requirements for quarantine of the host province and NS.
Remember that facilities will implement the changes to the rules at their own pace consistent with their approval processes and level of risk tolerance so please be patient.
Remember to practice safe sport:
- Respect – Facility rules
- Prepare – Book in advance
- Screen – Don’t play if you are exhibiting symptoms.
- Play – Wear a mask to and from the court, come prepared to play including bringing water/sports drink. Don’t wipe sweat on court surfaces during play
- Sanitize on completion of play
- Masked Spectators allowed to watch within the current gathering limits
- Exit the facility after play.
For reference the general return to play guidelines for players and venues are attached for Players and Facilities/Coaches and Organizers.
President of Squash NS
Find out what we did during COVID
Vote on Membership benefits, categories and prices for 2021 and beyond
Elect new board members
Say hi to people you haven’t seen in a while!
Follow the link to register and find out more!
World Squash Officiating is the WSF officiating training and evaluation platform. It hosts tons of easily searchable resources to develop officials in any aspect of their officiating journey as well as the courseware and evaluations to become a WSF certified official.
Currently the resource is being evaluated by the SC Officiating Committee to see how it can be integrated into the SC Officiating program. More details to follow on this.
In the meantime, it is a great resource for every level of official!
To explore the site please visit https://worldsquashofficiating.com/
Please consider completing the survey found here
Have your voice heard – Squash Canada is listening! 2021 National Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Survey
Participation will help shape the direction for the sport!