On behalf of the Board and the members of Squash NS I would like to congratulate:
Dave Thomson on his assumption of the role of President of Squash NS
Marwan Abouelela on his assumption of the role of Vice President and
John MacPhail on his acclamation as a member at large.
Phil Jourdeuil on his assumption of the role of Treasurer and
Cameron Reid and Evan McNichol on their return as members at large for another two year term.
Dave and Marwan agreed to co-lead the Board after the call for volunteers and the AGM produced no candidates. They and the Board will continue to lead the sport in its recovery post covid and will be refreshing the strategic plan for Squash NS in 2021-22.
In other news the AGM approved a restructure of membership classes and fees that eliminated the recreational class of membership and reduced membership fees. Details are here.
We are also actively planning the 2021-22 Competitive season. We plan to restart the HSL in September and expect that Premier League will also start in the fall. I would would ask clubs/individuals who are planning tournaments to indicate their interest and tentative dates to Mallory. So far we have no news on tourney dates in the other provinces but for NS we have tentative bookings for the:
- Cole Harbour Team Tourney – 14-17 Oct
- NS Jr Open – 19-21 Nov
- Dal tournament planned for 13-16 Jan
- NS Open 24-27 Mar
Also we would like to start a four tournament Junior Circuit for new, improving and competitive juniors. With tourney dates in Sep, Oct, Jan and Feb and each held at a different club in the province. Details of the circuit can be found here. Again Clubs should indicate their interest to Mallory.
I would like to thank the board and the squash community for your support over the last three years and hope you will work as hard to support our new leadership going forward.
Find out what we did during COVID
Vote on Membership benefits, categories and prices for 2021 and beyond
Elect new board members
Say hi to people you haven’t seen in a while!
Follow the link to register and find out more!
Squash NS will hold its Annual General Meeting on 27 June 2020 via Zoom video conference from 6-7pm ADT in accordance Article 15 of the SNS Constitution and Bylaws 0f 2018 and the Direction of the Minister – Shareholder or Member meetings under a state of emergency https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/docs/Ministers-direction-EMA-AGM.pdf
The meeting invite was sent to members via club locker email on Saturday 20 June and contained the link to the meeting, the meeting ID and password and instructions. If you intend to attend and did not receive an email invite please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The proposed Agenda follows:
- Welcome and Introductions
- Approve Agenda
- Approve Minutes of the 2019 AGM
- Receive the Presidents Report
- Receive the Treasurer’s Report
- Approve Annual Dues, Membership Classes and Discounts
- Update on Event Sanctioning, Athlete and Team Selection Policies and 2020-21 Competitive Calendar
- Covid Response
- Election of Directors
- Award Recipients
- New Business
Meeting materials are available here https://nssquash.ca/board-activity/agms/2019-20-agm/
Please consider volunteering on the board! Registration deadline is June 13th!
The Board of Directors needs your input and your passion for squash. We are seeking to:
- Fill the positions of President, VP, Treasurer, Director of Competitive Programs, Membership and Volunteer Development and Communications and Advocacy positions as well as two or three members at large.
- Receive at least one nomination from each of the five regions in which there are clubs:
- Cape Breton – CBSquash/Coast Guard College
- Highland – Highland Squash/StFX
- Fundy – Truro (Dal AG Campus)
- Valley – Greenwood/Kings County/Acadia
- HRM – SMU/Dal/CHP/Zatzman
For information on the various roles please see:
- Our Constitution http://nssquash.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/2018-06-05-SNS-Constitution-and-bylaws-revised.docx
- The Board Orientation Document http://nssquash.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Squash-NS-Board-Orientation.pdf
Eligibility requirements. Be a competitive member of Squash Nova Scotia, have a passion for your sport as well as having skills and interests to bring to the board.
Process. Register by going to Club locker and signing up for a specific role. If more than one person volunteers for a particular role, a run-off election will be held during the virtual Squash NS AGM on the 27th of June 2020. In the case of an election please be prepared to make a five minute pitch to the membership to support your election.
To volunteer please go to https://clublocker.com/tournaments/12041/info by end of day on the 13th of June 2020 and sign up for the role you wish to volunteer for.
Current Board Members and terms
- President (term expires Jun 2020): Phil Jourdeuil
- Vice President : vacant
- Past President : Gail Lethbridge
- Treasurer (term expires Jun 2020): Beth Cole
- Director Competitive Programs: vacant
- Director Developmental Programs (term expires Jun 2021): Marwan Abouelela
- Director Membership & Volunteer Development: vacant
- Director at Large (term expires Jun 2020): Sam Zhang
- Director at Large (term expires Jun 2020): Ryan Dwyer
- Director at Large (term expires Jun 2021): Evan McNicol
- Director at Large (term expires Jun 2021): Cameron Reid
I am pleased to invite you to the Squash NS Annual General Meeting which will be held in room 211 of the Homburg Centre at SMU, 920 Tower Road, Halifax, NS beginning at 7:00 p.m.
You can attend in person and join us afterwards for networking at a local pub or you can join us by Video teleconference by registering at the following link https://zoom.us/meeting/register/392405e6504d58f4dc2040ba88984b7b
The information package for the meeting is available here https://nssquash.ca/agms/
Everyone with an interest in squash is welcome to attend the AGM. However only people with a valid Squash NS recreational or Competitive membership can vote at the AGM. Memberships can be purchased here https://novascotia.clublocker.com/login
We are looking forward to seeing you at the AGM.